Thursday, April 30, 2009

I HAD A BABY....ELEPHANT!!!!!!!

Okay so I had been training with all three elephants and one was pregnant and due at the end of May. So every morning i would tell Mondevu (the pregnant ellie) that i would buy her special treats if she had a baby when i was still here and she had until the 30th of April. THe good thing is that an elephant gift is nothing like the price of a push present in the States because we just bought her a HUGE bag of oranges. So I wake up on my last morning in Zim EXTREMELY sad and i told them that i didn't want to get out of bed becuase i didn't want my last day to start. But i wake up that morning and as soon as we are getting ready to go out and start our day at 6am, Reilly runs around the corner saying "GET IN THE CAR MONDEVU IS HAVING HER BABY!" I almost peed in my pants! We all jumped in the car and RACED to the ellie pens and on our way I asked how we knew it was coming and he said one of the handlers came biking to the house to tell us they saw a FOOT! So at that point we all knew this was happening. We got there and unfortunelty had missed the birth which Bright (our guide but lives with the Ellie and guided the birth) said "it just dropped out" and then four of the handlers had to pull it away and keep it away from the mom becuase mom elephants will stamp the baby to death becuase all they know is that is what caused them pain. So they got it away and when we got there this little tiny morsel of an elephants was wet and trying to stand. OH MY WORD IT IS THE CUTEST THING EVERRRRRRR! They are going to name it Zambezi ( as it is male and they wanted to name it after a river and the guys are canoing down the Zambezi river to raise money for the Rhino so i think that will be the name). I couldn't have had a better last day if i tried. It was so shocking and the whole day we just spent with the baby elephant, although we also did some games with the kids from the compound where all the handlers families live. The last day was hard but that made it unforgetable! You all will soon see Zambezi as I stole him and brought him in my bag.

1 comment:

  1. yayyy baby elephant!!! so did u bring it home for me?!!?!

    ReplyDelete